Dr. med. dent. Nikolaos Daratsianos, MSc L.O.
Assistant professor and Vice Director
MSc Lingual Orthodontics
Tel.: +49 228 287-22426
Department of Orthodontics
University Hospital of Bonn
Dr. Nikolaos Daratsianos graduated from the German School of Athens / Greece. He studied at the Dental School of Frankfurt / Main in Germany and acquired the orthodontic specialization in a private orthodontic clinic and at the University Clinic of Bonn / Germany. He is the vice director of the Department of Orthodontics of the University Clinic of Bonn since 2004.
His doctoral studies were in the field of experimental orthodontics and he specialized himself through a two-year Master of Science program at the Hannover Medical School in “Lingual Orthodontics” (hidden orthodontics performed on the lingual side of the teeth). He treats since many years even patients with complicated malocclusions, routinely and exclusively with lingual braces and teaches about the lingual technique. He is one of the two orthodontists in Germany and ca. 50 worldwide who are Titular Members of the European Society of Lingual Orthodontics (highest qualification of the society).
Furthermore, Dr. Daratsianos specializes on the combined orthodontic-surgical treatment of patients with severe malocclusions, obstructive sleep apnea disorders (OSAS) as well as the early treatment of newborns with cleft lip and palate. He was the head orthodontist in the interdisciplinary clinic for orthognathic surgery in 2003 - 2015. Dr. Daratsianos is since 2003 continuously the head of the cleft lip and palate clinic within the Department of Orthodontics. After visiting many renomated cleft centers worldwide, he introduced "Nasoalveolar Molding" into the interdisciplinary protocoll of the Cleft Center of the University Clinic of Bonn, a technique which concentrates on the reduction of the cleft deformity and molding of the lip/nose region before the first operation, allowing superior surgical results.
His scientific focus is on experimental orthodontics / biomechanics, lingual orthodontics, cleft lip and palate as well as 3D techniques. He is member of the Standards Committee for Orthodontic Materials within the German National Organization for Standardization (DIN).
Dr. Daratsianos is an active professor for undergraduate dental students and an official examiner in the state dental examination. He has decisevly codeveloped the postgraduate programme for orthodontic residents in the University Clinic of Bonn. He regularly holds lectures in national and international meetings and congresses and gives specialist courses.
- German Orthodontic Society - Deutsche Gesellschaft für Kieferorthopädie (DGKFO)
- European Orthodontic Society (EOS)
- European Society of Lingual Orthodontics (ESLO): Titular Member
- German Cleft Palate Craniofacial Association (GCPA) - Deutscher Interdisziplinärer Arbeitskreis Lippen-Kiefer-Gaumenspalten/Kraniofaziale Anomalien (AKLKG)
- Standards Committee for Orthodontic Materials within the German National Organization for Standardization (DIN)
- Treatment with the lingual technique: the braces are bonded on the back side of the teeth and are thus neearly invisible
- Treatment of patients with cleft lip and palate with Nasoalveolar Molding (NAM)
- since 2003 head of the cleft lip and palate clinic
- Publication about the interdisciplinary treatment concept (in German, click on the right icon)
- Press announcement from 15.07.2010 (in German)
- Pages of the Cleft Center of the University Clinic of Bonn (in German)
- Treatment with aligner, the transparent splints
- Adult treatment
- Combined orthodontic-surgical treatment, head orthodontist in the interdisciplinary clinic for orthognathic surgery in 2003 - 2015
- Orthodontics after tooth loss and tooth transplantation
- Experimental orthodontics and biomechanics
- Orthodontic materials
- Lingual technique
- Cleft lip and palate
- 3D techniques in orthodontics
University of Bonn
- Head professor of the course of orthodontic propedeutics (5th/6th semester, Preclinic)
- Lecture: “Diagnosis of patients with orofacial clefts” within the lecture series “Introduction to Orthodontics" (5th/6th semester, Preclinic)
- Lecture: "Esthetic appliances in Orthodontics" within the lecture series “Orthodontics
- Lecture: “Nasoalveolar Molding – the therapy of patients with orofacial clefts from the point of view of the orthodontist” within the lecture series “Orthodontics"
Postgraduate specialisation in orthodontics at the University Hospital of Bonn
- Adult orthodontics
- Three-dimensional planning of the combined orthodontic-surgical treatment
- Diagnosis of patients with orofacial clefts
- Nasoalveolar Molding – the therapy of patients with orofacial clefts from the point of view of the orthodontist
- Esthetic orthodontics
- Photography in orthodontics
- Lingual technique
- Class-II therapy with the lingual technique
- 3D techniques in orthodontics
Other Institutions (Dental Association, German Orthodontic Society etc.)
- Course speaker in Lingual Orthodontics
- Course speaker in Photography in Orthodontics